8 replies to this topic

#1 Mid-Town Medic

Mid-Town Medic

Firefighter/ NREMT-P

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHampton Roads, VA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:32 AM

My agency has been mentioning ideas of performing community paramedicine for the past few years.  Recently, the higher ups have stated that we're going to begin preparing for it in the next year with an approximate ten months of training.  They haven't listed what services they plan to provide yet.  Has anyone here started with similar programs at their agency?

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

#2 PSYCtest040

PSYCtest040

EMT-Pirate

• Moderators
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationThe bottom of a whiskey barrel.

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

My agency is sending the ALS chief and training captain to the classes next month. If they are to be the only two community paramedics or if they are going to train dine other medics remains to be seen.
Welfare was never intended to be a career opportunity.

Medic Fourty Doom.

Paramedic: Phenomenal cosmic powers!!!! Itty bitty working space.

Stewie Griffin: Look, I really don't want to go to hell, but I can't stop my nature. I'm just a hateful person. Wait a minute. Of course, that's it! If I'm drunk, I'll be calm; if I'm calm, I'll be nice; and if I'm nice, I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball. I'm going to get good and tight.

#3 Mid-Town Medic

Mid-Town Medic

Firefighter/ NREMT-P

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:52 AM

My agency is sending the ALS chief and training captain to the classes next month. If they are to be the only two community paramedics or if they are going to train dine other medics remains to be seen.

Are they expecting some money for this when Obamacare kicks in?

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

#4 PSYCtest040

PSYCtest040

EMT-Pirate

• Moderators
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:46 PM

Are they expecting some money for this when Obamacare kicks in?

If your asking if my agency will charge for community paramedic visits that is most assuredly a yes, we are after all a commercial Ambulance service. If that's not what you're asking then I'm at a loss.

Medic Fourty Doom.

Stewie Griffin: Look, I really don't want to go to hell, but I can't stop my nature. I'm just a hateful person. Wait a minute. Of course, that's it! If I'm drunk, I'll be calm; if I'm calm, I'll be nice; and if I'm nice, I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball. I'm going to get good and tight.

#5 Mid-Town Medic

Mid-Town Medic

Firefighter/ NREMT-P

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

If your asking if my agency will charge for community paramedic visits that is most assuredly a yes, we are after all a commercial Ambulance service. If that's not what you're asking then I'm at a loss.

I've heard that funding for this is supposed to increase as a part of Obamacare.  This came up from the same person in the same conversation that said that Obamacare would also require a Paramedic on the ambulance to charge for ALS, but not state Intermediate-99.  Virginia still has Intermediate-99, but since it's a state level cert, Affordable Care Act might not recognize it.

#6 PSYCtest040

PSYCtest040

EMT-Pirate

• Moderators
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

I've heard that funding for this is supposed to increase as a part of Obamacare. This came up from the same person in the same conversation that said that Obamacare would also require a Paramedic on the ambulance to charge for ALS, but not state Intermediate-99. Virginia still has Intermediate-99, but since it's a state level cert, Affordable Care Act might not recognize it.

If I understand Obamacare correctly from the emergency services standpoint, it's attempting to reduce the amount of ambulance transports. If that's the case then community paramedicine is a logical choice especially with the chronically ill patients or patients that don't know of other services available to them. I've been talking with my ALS chief and he's also said there if funding for this. He's telling me the course is heavily centered on physiology, pharmacology, post discharge plans and socioeconomics. The course he's in is almost four months long. What has me confused, this is akin to home health nursing so how are they going to take it if we start stepping into their turf?

I'm not sure of billing practices in other parts of the country but in my region, even before Obamacare, if our agency charged for ALS then their had to be a paramedic or AEMT-CC (what's considered I-99) on the truck. Recently my region changed things up, AEMT-CC and AEMT-I are no longer recognize as advanced providers. If there is a provider with holding those certs they can only provide care at the BLS level. The rest of New York state is beginning to follow the national standards of EMT, AEMT and Paramedic, if those other regions let agencies bill advanced care with an AEMT-I or AEMT-CC I'm not sure.

Medic Fourty Doom.

#7 Mid-Town Medic

Mid-Town Medic

Firefighter/ NREMT-P

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:41 AM

Currently, this program is on hiatus because it has been found that the wording in the state law concerning EMS doesn't jive with my agency's plan.  The way it was explained to me, our assessments and evaluations of patients whom we visit on a pre-planned basis would have to have patient refusals.  There are other factors at play, but for now, community paramedicine is not happening in my city.

#8 PSYCtest040

PSYCtest040

EMT-Pirate

• Moderators
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

Those pesky state laws getting in our way of advancement sucks.

Medic Fourty Doom.

#9 Mid-Town Medic

Mid-Town Medic

Firefighter/ NREMT-P

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

. What has me confused, this is akin to home health nursing so how are they going to take it if we start stepping into their turf?

This sounds like one of the big issues with current procedures in EMS in our state.  A lot of the rural areas have hospitals doing these community procedures already, and community paramedicine would take this revenue away from them, so these hospitals are not in favor of the paramedicine program.

• PSYCtest040 likes this